Last year was my very first Blogher conference and believe me, it was crazy! This year I am taking a completely different approach. I am going, but I’m not obligating myself to too much. There just isn’t enough time. As someone who ran around like a crazy woman last year, here’s my advice on how to stay stress-free during Blogher weekend.
1) Exercise Every Morning: Getting to the hotel gym or simply taking a brisk walk at sunrise will get your mind and body ready for the day. I recommend working out especially on the very first day of Blogher to get your pent-up energy and jitters out before you hit the conference floor.
2) Take Time for Yourself: Last year I walked a lot in Chicago just enjoying the scenery, shopping on the Magnificent Mile, and even eating dinner by myself one night. It was nice and allowed me to really revel in some “me time”. Don’t be afraid to think of yourself, even if it means slipping away to Starbucks to grab a cappuccino alone or going to get a mani-pedi.
3) Dress Comfortably: Many bloggers have already extolled the value of dressing comfortably. It’s always nice to be well-dressed, but if you buy new shoes, go buy them TODAY and break those babies out before walking around all day in heels that pinch your toes until they’re bloody. There’s not that much cute in the world!
4) Don’t Take Party Invitations Too Seriously: Party invitations can’t make or break you! Last year I was invited to all of ONE brand event and then tagged along with Renée to events she had already signed up for. It was all good. I didn’t know how Blogher rolled at the time and didn’t even know off-site parties existed. This year I received so many invitations I couldn’t attend them all. So, don’t pin your worth on whether you received invitations to brand events or not.
5) Have fun! I know this sounds so cliché, but it is so true! If all else fails, always have fun. You’ll be in New York City. If you can’t have fun in NYC, you can’t have fun anywhere. It’s all about your frame of mind. Dwell in positivity and that positive attitude will travel with you the entire weekend!
I look forward to seeing you there!